Saturday, November 29, 2008

Traditions

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone had a peaceful and happy day.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, during which we were totally able to relax. Steven and I left the cooking to my mom, (who left the cooking to the Resort), and we left our Spokane dinner to Dan, Sydni, Staci, and Marsha. We started over at the Davis household. We had a great time with the kids, and watching various sports and the movie Wall E. Cooper had a rough day with teething and cried most of the day. It was difficult for me, if I have a preconceived idea of how I expect or want something to go, it's difficult for me to change that idea and feel fulfilled if it doesn't go that way. So, in this situation I had imagined Cooper lovingly playing with cousins and family, which happened about 10% of the time. So, I was frustrated.

Then, when the food arrived at the house, we all dug in, it was amazing. It wasn't long before I watched Steven quietly walk to the diaper bag and take some Benedryl. Poor guy had a reaction to something, not even sure what, and while the rest of us had Thanksgiving dinner together, he was busy trying to make sure he could still breathe. So, again, I began to feel bummed that things weren't necessarily going to plan. Steven was okay after a while, but he was so sweet. His main concern was not to ruin anything, and later told me it was one of the worst reactions he's had.



So, we packed up and headed to have dinner with the Spokane Clan. Dinner was amazing, (Steven got to eat!), and it was so fun to be with more family. I learned an important lesson that night about all my frustrations. That morning my mother-in-law (hereafter referred to as Marsha) opened her turkey to prepare it for dinner, only to find that it was rotten. With I imagine no complaints she jumped into her car and drove around all Thanksgiving morning looking for a new one. When I heard this story I was first disgusted, and then impressed. What an awful thing, but she handled it. After hearing this story I resolved to do better with adapting.








(The 10% of the time, Mason took this picture)





Watching the movie, lots of hard work happening..

So. Friday morning rolls around and I think...I'm going to start fresh today. So, I pull out all of the Christmas decorations and get to work.





It was really fun. I got a lot done with some interspersed help from Steven. He instead chose to Unleash the Force. I was trying to hurry so we could meet Mom and Dad Davis downtown Cd'A for the Christmas Parade and Fireworks. I was so happy to see that as I decorated it started to snow. So classic right? So, I was working on wrapping the banister, which seemed to take about 5 million years. I finally get everything down, garland, lights, bows, and then when Steven finds the extension cord and plugs it in for me, half of it doesn't work. (Beginning of my downhill) So, I quickly think "Adapt", so I outwardly say, I'll fix it later, and inwardly say, Crap. Onward!



So, we get everything loaded and downtown. When we get there we unload stroller, blankets, and coats and mittens and boots for Cooper. As each layer gets put on, he gets unhappier and unhappier. We don't even make it halfway to our destination before Steven is carrying him, and I'm frustrated because he isn't all toasty in the stroller.*Note: At this point it isn't snowing, it's raining and snowing. So, cute mom trying to make the best of our extra time which is usually spent with hot chocolate blankets and laughter, suggests all kinds of fun things, and each bombs in it's own way. Coopers losing it, so I bend down to make him a bottle from the WARM water I packed (amazing right?), and I discovered that I forgot the actual bottle at home. Not adapting. Not adapting. Steven suggests everything under the sun, including him driving all the way home and back, so that I can stay for the fireworks. We're soaked, hungry, and I'm frustrated that things aren't going according to my plan. Needless to say, it was a pretty miserable elemental experience, but I learned something from Dad towards the end. We're trying to get to the park, and Dad says, "Why are traditions important? We've been coming to stuff like this with you kids forever. It's hardly ever been enjoyable for your Mom and I, but all you kids remember in the end was that you were a little cold, and that you saw fireworks and had hot chocolate. Meanwhile, all we heard was that you were hungry, cold, and had to go the bathroom. But, it's the tradition, you remember the hard ones more fondly when you're older."



So, I thought back to our family traditions and recalled a dropped Thanksgiving Turkey, a knocked over Christmas tree, Abby marching up the Clarkston hill Christmas Eve, and so many others. It's totally true. I remember the difficult ones more.



I learned such an important lesson this weekend. Even though the experience was absolutely miserable, I will always remember it. Always. Thanks Dad.







6 comments:

Brousseau Family said...

It's totally true about the memories. I can still remember the deafening silence as the christmas tree fell. . . And I was just telling my kids this morning that I always put Christams decorations up Thanksgiving weekend because that's what I did with my dad. . . I can still remember dad letting us "help." Thanks Dad. . .

Ritzville RS said...

Awwww.... That's so sweet, Cass! I am sorry things didn't go the way you expected, but what a way to turn around your outlook on life :)

Anonymous said...

There were a few good moments, though, as I recall. I think it is very interesting to observe young moms and dads going through these experiences, with ONE CHILD!!! Parental toughness comes with time and experience and so does the fun. Welcome to the club!!! And, thanks for hanging in there. Dad

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way as Dad! I hope that it's better for you next year and I hope I see you soon again. Love, Tim/Uncle Tim

Anonymous said...

First of all...one and all...Cooper totally poses for the photos, literally stops what he's doing to grin his little pumpkin-face!! As for making memories from traditions...I loved listening to you all chatter in the days following about "this and that," that we had experienced...and truly as the days went by the memories got rosier...something about taking an experience and adding heart to it...magical!! Love, mom/gma

Life According to Scott said...

Cassie...If I had a dollar for every road trip we went on. And for all the moans I heard we all could have a really really big checking account!

I think its what has made us all who we are. I loved the road trips mom and dad took us on. I love it I never got to go anywhere until you guys came along.

I loved every minute of them all.

The best part is that your doing the same thing that mom did or does and your husband does the same thing DAD does. It is so fun to see you all play these parts now.

Your the best and I am so glad I get to share a little life with you!

Love you
Scott