Monday, February 25, 2008

I Heart Jared Nicholes

In our ward we have a very high number of kids with disabilities, 8 in our primary. It is definitely a challenge each week, but since I'm behind the piano it's usually not a challenge for me, but mostly for the primary presidency. One boy in particular (Jared) is my favorite to have around. After talking to Steven about it yesterday, I think I discovered that I enjoy his presence (and many) outbursts each week because it's very reminiscent of when Tim was little. The only difference is, I get to enjoy Jared and understand that he is just his own man. Whereas, when Tim was little, we were so close in age that his outbursts used to be embarrassing because I didn't think that people understood.
I have been enjoying Jared in primary for months now, and I thought it was only fair that I share some of Jared on my blog. Between Steven and I we have lots of favorite moments with him, but by far these are our favorites.

  • In preparation for the Christmas program, Jared was asked to narrate a portion of the nativity play, and when his turn for the microphone came it squeaked. And into the microphone Jared says, "They've hacked into our microwave system!"
  • When generally asked in primary when Jesus would come again (looking for the answer that no one knows) Jared raised his hand and said, "April 1st 2016 will be first contact!"
  • Arriving at church very early (long story), I was sitting in the chapel when Jared and his brother and sister arrived. He had with him a very large souvenir newspaper that I assume he brought back with them from their Hawaiian vacation. (The headline was about the attack on Pearl Harbor) When his older brother tried to take the newspaper, Jared shouted very loudly, "Don't touch my tie, I don't have underwear on!"
  • During a practice for our primary program, Jared brought with him half a broken fishing pole that he wanted to give to the chorister to use as a baton. He did, and she did, and then she gave it right back to him. There was a great deal of sword fighting and rifle shooting with the broken antenna. Both Steven and I were nervous that he might hurt someone else with the imaginative tool. Steven leaned over and asked him to give it to him. Jared responded very loudly with,"Are you threatening me?" and when I leaned over to get involved he asked me," Are you trying to take my personal property?" After which I told him he could put it under his chair or give it to me, which interrupted our practice for about 3 minutes while he decided. I wasn't fazed, Tim has done much worse, but when Jared and I were done negotiating the Primary Presidency looked like I had spun gold. It was awesome.
  • One sharing time when the classes were split into a boys team and a girls team for a challenge, Jared announced repeatedly that he was the general for the boys team and proceeded to tuck his suit jacket into his pants and then retie his belt on the outside like a ninja costume, and he then beat everyone up.
  • Yesterday in Primary his mother came in to check on things, and he told her that he had a headache and needed to go home. She checked his head and told him that he was going to stay. So, then he said his throat hurt. (Of course in a suddenly raspy voice) She told him that he had to stay. She turns to leave and he says just a little bit louder, "But, I'm constipated and must use the bathroom!" She turns and says, if you are constipated you don't need to use the bathroom, and again turns to leave. As soon as she is almost outside the door he yells, "Okay, then I have diarrhea!"
  • This is my favorite one by far. Jared raised his hand yesterday and asked the Primary President if he could show the primary a Hawaiian dance he learned on his vacation. She told him she didn't think that there was going to be time, and that maybe the next week would be better. Not able to pass up this opportunity, I asked him to show me when Primary was over. It was awesome. He remembered everything they taught them, and was very handsome doing it. But the best part was when his sister came to look for him. He asked her to show us the dance she learned, which she was too embarrassed to do. So, don't worry, he showed us her hula too. Complete with hips and sounds. I'll never forget it.

I am so grateful to have grown up with Tim. Even though there were very difficult moments, I am so glad that I am able to interact with these other special spirits comfortably because I've been doing it since I can remember. Jared makes primary for me every week, I'm so grateful he's there. Can't wait to see what happens next week!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...said while trying to breathe again and wiping tears! These quotes are simply phenomenally funny!! Even funnier having lived ones so very similar. I think it would be lovely to keep a "journal" for his mom to give her in years to come. Love, another lucky mom!!

Candy Javier said...

Yes Cassie... Lovely! These are freaking hilarious. and may I say once again, that you are a very talented writer. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Cassie,

I don't care what others say, you are pretty ok in my book. By the way, would you like to have some more opportunities to have Tim teach you in the near future? I can arrange it.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Definitely more teaching moments from Tim are needed. I laughed so hard at those Jaredisms - perfect ending to my crappy day. By they way Cass - should I plan on going to the store when I get there - what do you suggest. We are SO excited!

K

Anonymous said...

And I LOVED the blog, laughed wayyy too loud. Also, I'd like to add, I love the way everyone leaves comments as ANONYMOUS...we're such a mysterious bunch.
Gins

Jessica said...

I'm emailing this to Ryan because it was so great. Thanks for sharing the fun (and the love!)

Anonymous said...

OK this is my second time reading this and it just cracks me up because it just reminds me of some of Timmy's funny moments that yes Cassie I agree with you were embarrassing/funny! Also I have to say I love reading your blog because you always make me smile and make me feel like I am right there with you guys! Miss you love you excited to see you this weekend!!!!
Bizzer

Ritzville RS said...

My face hurts from laughing so hard!! What an awesome kid!

Randi said...

Oh, Cassie I loved this. I was nearly crying at the end. Both from the humor and the pure innocence of such wonderful blessings these spirits bring into our lives. Thanks for sharing. Loved it.

Toby and Tammy said...

What a sweet and quite funny little boy. I am sure he makes Primary much more interesting and fun!
Hope you are feeling well. You're almost to 40 weeks!