Monday, October 13, 2008

Thankful

I know it's a little early for a "Thankful" post, but I'm diving right on in anyway. I know everyone is expecting pictures of Cooper and stuff about Steven, but this year I have some new ones.
Recently I was reading an article in the Ensign with a quote that I can't stop thinking about! Neal A Maxwell said, "“Murmuring can … be noisy enough that it drowns out the various spiritual signals to us, signals which tell us in some cases to quit soaking ourselves indulgently in the hot tubs of self-pity! Murmuring over the weight of our crosses not only takes energy otherwise needed to carry them but might cause another to put down his cross altogether.” As I read this, my first thought was how thankful I was that as I read that, I couldn't think of any major crosses that I struggle with right now. My next thought was how stupid I felt for complaining about things I didn't consider a big deal. My life is nowhere near perfect, but I can stop whining about the things that I can change, and learn to live with the things I can't.
I'm thankful for my peaceful life.
I'm thankful that I get to be with Cooper every single day.
I'm thankful that Steven provides for us.
I'm thankful we have the Spirit in our home.
I'm thankful for the never-ending laundry. (Said with gritted teeth, this one falls under the category of things I can't change)
I'm thankful for hard work. There is nothing better then being exhausted at the end of the day.
I'm thankful that I can feel the new baby kicking. It's amazing, and I love it every time.
I know this was one of those embarrassing posts that everyone pretends not have read, and I don't blame anyone for skipping over it. I just wanted to record for myself the little things that have become so very important.

6 comments:

David and Wendy Pendergrass said...

On the contrary, these are the posts that I most enjoy! Although pictures and fun are always a delight, I love to hear your deepest thoughts and especially when they inspire me to be better as well! I am in a more thankful mood already, so I guess I should say Thank You for the post!

The Shavers said...

I just love that quote! I really actually needed to hear (read) that right at this moment. Thank you Cas!

Miranda said...

Amen, Amen, Amen to both comments. As much as I love to know what's going on I REALLY enjoy knowing how YOU are doing. Sometimes we all just need a swift kick in the pants, I know I do right now. Thank you for sharing that quote that's exactly what I needed to hear too.

Life According to Scott said...

When I was in college years ago, I started to write out everything I was thankful for. "Count your many blessings" and I soon saw that the list was even bigger than I had ever would had planned. So yes it is always good to be greatful everyday. and Cassie I am greatful for you and your little family!
Thanks Sis!

Anonymous said...

New goal for me...STAY OUT OF THE HOT TUB OF SELF PITY. Thank you, Cass!! Love, mom

Anonymous said...

I may not get into the hot tub, but I shower every now and then.
Dad