Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Confession...

This morning we woke up to a very cold, rainy morning, and boys with fevers. This has never happened to us with Cooper, so I made everyone stay home today. We rarely stay home from church, so we had a great breakfast and then had a discussion about how to keep a peaceful spirit in our house today.
Something many of you may not know about me is that I absolutely love Christmas. I always felt like it was wrong that the spirit of Christmas is so amazing, but we only keep that feeling around for four weeks. Once October rolls around, Christmas movies and occasional music are fair game at our house. (It's okay, everyone thinks it...Steven is a Saint) It helps me be cheerful, and it also helps me not feel really depressed when Christmas is over. I know that this isn't particularly popular, in fact, when I was growing up and played the piano for our ward choir, I remember a Sister who would literally hiss at everyone if we sang a Christmas song before December.


So, as we looked at our choices today, I realized that we didn't have as many Christmas movies as I remembered.

  1. The Santa Clause
  2. The Polar Express
  3. Muppet Christmas Carol
  4. Mormon Tabernacle Choir w/ Sissel
  5. And the best of all....

What are your favorite Christmas movies? I was checking on Amazon, and they aren't expensive, and I would love to increase our collection. I know for sure I want to add the old Scrooge with Albert Finney that we watched as kids, Christmas Story, and The Family Stone.

Suggestions?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about It's A Wonderful Life? Also, what is the Family Stone? Dad

Monica McCoy said...

I think that it is awesome that you celebrate so early. I am like that too and got crap for it as well. YAY for us, who actually think about it more than just December!

Life According to Scott said...

Oh little sister.. I have to admit I love the smells and feelings of Christmas.. But I cant do it until after Thanksgiving. I have about 80 Christmas CD's and lots of Chirstmas movies... My movies... THE GRINCH, I love it I can watch it year round. The Christmas Story, I cant go with out seeing the Peanuts Christmas special. One of my favorite Christmas shows is Norah's Christmas Gift, CHURCH SHOW.
Another one of my Favorites is Dolly Parton, in Unforgotten Angel. But I love it when the holidays start to come around because Lifetime TV always has a month of Christmas on. I will have to look at my video list again. I know I have a few more!

Anonymous said...

Gosh...you've named my favorites...just seeing the Elf cover made me crack-up!! Hope the boys are better soon...Love, gma

Brousseau Family said...

Cass- I'm with Dad - I love It's A Wonderful Life. Matt and I have a tradition - we watch it while we are playing santa on christmas eve. . . For music - you can't live without Harry Connick Jr.'s christmas music. . .

The Shavers said...

ONe of Albert's favorites is called scrooged and it has bill murray in it you might try that one!

Candy Javier said...

Elf is for sure my favorite! I hope your boys are feeling better, we missed you at church. Love you!

The Grimmett's said...

We like Jingle All the Way. By the way, I totally start on Nov. 1st, right after halloween. Everyone totally thinks I'm weird, so I am glad to see someone else starts early too!

Renee' P said...

Yea no one picked mine! My favorite Christmas movie of all time is Santa Claus The Movie! I watched that when I was little and loved it and still do. It's so magical!
I also love earlytime Christmas movies and music. I married a man who doesn't like any of that until after Thanksgiving. Oh well, I still do it! You are not alone!
Have fun getting ready for Christmas.