Thursday, December 11, 2008

Is It Cold In Here?

Lately one of our family goals has been to trim our family budget so that we can improve our food storage/saving/debt situations. Fun, I know. So, when looking at the budget as a family Steve saw our utility bill and was completely shocked. I explained that the bill wasn't extra high, that's just what we pay to heat our house in the wintertime. A few days later I read an article teaching that you can save a lot of money each month in the winter if you lower your thermostat by 5 degrees and instead choose to bundle up a little bit more.
The more I thought about it, the more valid it seemed. I remember lots of times growing up using a blanket as a warmth cape, or always having socks and slippers on, sweatshirts, etc. So, we decided to try it. We've been going strong for about a month now, and it's honestly not so bad. There have been a few moments when I've experienced something and thought, okay...too cold.
For example, we are just starting to introduce sippy cups to Cooper at meals.(The ones that change color when they're cold) Coop's sippy cup had been sitting on the table while I prepared dinner and we waited for Steve to come home. When I finally got around to picking his cup up, my hands were so cold that it changed the cups color. Whoops.
I usually have some butter at room temperature for toasted breads, and yesterday I tried to spread some on my toast only to have my knife rebound off the frozen solid block of butter.
I've noticed lately that Trooper is not panting and laying on the kitchen floor like he used to in our warm house, he's laying on my feet and snuggling up to the couch. *I appreciate this*
I'm so proud of us. We are not torturing ourselves, or the baby. By some miracle his room is some sort of sauna, always way too warm for me. But, it's been really fun to make a choice and stand by it. Plus, I think the pioneers would agree that 5 degrees less in the winter...not so bad.

10 comments:

Camille English said...

That's funny we try to do the same thing but I feel so bad when the babies noses start running. I love your post about being selfless, It's something I need to remember too, especially when I'm really burnt out and thinking I need me time desperatly and when I get it all I can think about is my Husband and kids.

Live everyday to its fullest said...

HAHAHA way to jump on the ban wagon! We do this very same thing. We started about a two years ago because I couldnt stand the high bilss. Plus I cant sleep when it is too warm so I like is better cold! Good luck, just keep lots of blankets around to snuggle up with...and it is so nice to have a little snuggle bug to keep you warm. We gotta get together again I had a good time and I want to get to know you better! Maybe in January when the holiday is over and life is slowed down!

The Grimmett's said...

Way to go! That's a good idea!

Ritzville RS said...

Good for you! I'm one of the ones who caves and cranks the heat back up when I can't stand it (but only for a few minutes, lol!).
Keep up the good work ;)

Peterson's said...

Hey, I get the cute bows from Brandon and Hollie (my sis) Cox, they sell them at their business. She taught me how to make them! I've been making bows for Callie since day one! Clothes, we get a lot at old navy, cute and cheaper than other places. But there are always cute things at Dept. Stores! So are you having a girl, did I miss that post?
Chels

Life According to Scott said...

Good Job Cassie... I understand that.. my house is 67. and that is just fine with me... I think if its to hot its not that nice. But I do have a small heater that turns on at 65.

Good Job...

Renee' P said...

Good for you guys.
For us, this doesn't work. Our house needs a lot of work to help keep the heat in.
Last winter, in one month, our bill was almost $500! We are still paying on our balance.
It has been sooooooooooo cold in our house that my son's hands are always Freezing!
Today, our pellet stove got hooked up and w/in 15 we could tell a HUGE difference! It feels so great to type this and not have freezing hands and hopefully our bill will be going down!
Stay warm!

Brousseau Family said...

You've inspired me Cass. I just went and turned down my heater. Although - I don't think it was high, I turned both the daytime and nighttime temps down 2 degrees. Let's see how it goes!

Anonymous said...

I am glad I am not in that house, for now, but sooner or later I will be and I will have to deal with that cold. Love, Tim/Uncle Tim

Anonymous said...

We've always fended off the "Mom, it's too cold in here," trying to save money. Even so...I wore extra clothes to your house tonight for dinner just in case...no worries...it felt like home!! We are hardy folk when we want to be...Love, mom/gma