Monday, May 11, 2009

A Mother's Day Post? Surely not...

I've been struggling for the past few days to come to a conclusion about what I wanted to post for Mother's Day.

(Thank you Bernard and Marsha for my adorable Mother's Day Cookies)

I've been thinking so much this last week about mothers, but more specifically about family.Two conferences ago, Elder Uchtdorf gave a talk and spoke about his mother raising his family during World War 2 in Germany. At the time I remember thinking, if that mother can raise a child during that horrible time, and influence his life in such a positive way, I feel much more confident that I can do it now during these troubled days. During the last few months and even weeks, I've watched as so many around me have extremely difficult experiences. We've had some ourselves, but nothing compared to the struggles of those around me. I'm so amazed at the examples I've seen of people pulling themselves up by the bootstraps and making their lives better. I hope to be an example to my children of someone who always made their lives better.
I am so grateful that I still have my mother with me. She is so amazing, and one of my very best friends. I'm so grateful that my children have the opportunity to be with her. I can't even fathom the struggle my parents had raising all ten of us. I'm very inspired by her, and I feel so grateful that I know her so well.

We feel so lucky that our kids get to be near both of their Grandma's. I'm so grateful that after a medical scare this week, Marsha is feeling better. I've never seen such and example of selfless love and humility. We love our Grandma Daines very much, and I'm so happy she's feeling better.

The last few months we've been so blessed to get to have my brother Matt and his two boys here with us. I know this holiday was celebrating mothers, but I have learned as much from Matt about being a good mom as any of my sisters. I have been so impressed watching Matt parent his children, he's such a blessing to me. When we have eight kids running around here, it's so fun to watch Matt keep everybody in line. I'm so excited for his future as a father..



And for me and my part...

I am so blessed. I could go on and on about each thing I love, but I think it's sufficient to say that I love my children more each day. I remember people asking my what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I always knew that my greatest wish was to be a mother. I feel so grateful that I have my little boy and girl, and especially my husband who supports us.

My life is a miracle.

Not everyone gets to have their wildest dreams come true.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exaltation in the Celestial Kingdom...this post defines it...generations, mothers, fathers, grandmothers, grandfathers, angel children...I can hardly wait to get there (I hope!)...but, wait, I'm surrounded by it! Love, mom/gma

Abby said...

As always, you've said it beautifully. Happy Mother's Day, Cass.

Anonymous said...

that is totally right sis goodbye see you soon!! love, tim\uncle tim

Anonymous said...

Wonderful comments, dear. You are so right and we are so lucky to have you. Love, Dad