Friday, May 16, 2008

Dreams

I've been thinking about dreams lately. I found this book at Costco, and thought that Steven would really enjoy it. I was not aware at the time that it had been on Oprah, I just thought that the premise was very interesting. The man who wrote the book was a professor who found out that he had cancer, and he just had a few months left to live. At his University the tradition for Professor's leaving campus was for them to give a "Last Lecture". This professor's situation was a little different because it was in fact the Last Lecture of his life.

The book is amazing.

There are so may aspects to the book that I found inspiring. The author talks about how when he finally accepted that he was dying, he realized that aside from having to leave his family, he had no regrets about his life. When he was a child he wrote down all his dreams and aspirations, and he did the best he could to achieve them as an adult. The book has so many wonderful stories and lessons, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

I've been doing some thinking since I started reading and I realized that I really cannot remember what my dreams were as a child. I wanted to start a new list to start achieving, so that if anything happens to me, I won't have any regrets.

  1. Play a string instrument
  2. Run a 5k
  3. Live outside the United States
  4. Go on a mission
  5. Have a happy, safe, and supportive home for my family

Trying to realize what my goals and dreams are is very difficult and insightful.

What are some of yours?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh. . . goals vs. dreams. I'm going to have to ponder over that and get back to you. . . hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

So, you want to live outside the US do you? You had better pick the country carefully!! I have been to a few and am not sure I would want to live there for any length of time. Running a 5K and going on a mission could be fun. Have you thought about going on a mission to a foreign country and running a 5k while you are there? That would knock off three of your goals at the same time.

Danna said...

Just found your blog and I love it. Not only because it is great, but you guys are obviously super shock fans. Steven and grandma are pictured wearing shock shirts, Cassie cried when the team ran out, and you posted pictures from a game. Really, you deserve a prize. Keep up the good work! - Danna Nelson

Anonymous said...

Thoughts from a timeline-advanced perspective...nearly none of my "dreams" have come true...because they were too small. Great big ones have come true...remember..."some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers!" I love most of all about my life that He has been in charge! Love, mom